Friday, May 2, 2008

Why So Simple?


Scripture: John 3:16-17 (NIV) 16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Background: John 3:16 is probably the most famous verse in all of scripture. It lays out the plan of salvation in terms that almost anyone could easily understand. It is religion that makes salvation difficult. So difficult, that many non-believers are convinced that they could never achieve or "live up" to salvation. The matter of salvation according to John 3:16 is based on one simple premise, "Whoever Believes in Him." Salvation does not then come through good works--good living--or by being good. Can you imagine what this must have sounded like to the religious ears of Nicodemus? We don't know if Nicodemus was a part of the crowd that called for Jesus' crucification, but the problem with the religious leaders may have started right here. Religious people truly want a salvation that is more complicated.

Observations: It takes God living in a person's life in order for that person to change. That is why God designed a plan that made it simple for Him to come into a person's heart. When we believe in Jesus, God enters our lives by way of the Holy Spirit. As the Holy Spirit works in us, our minds begin the process of being transformed. Over time a Believer in Christ begins to change--this change is possible, because the power of God is living in the Believer and changing them from the inside-out.

Prayer: Father, I submit myself to the changes that You desire to make in my life. I am thankful and grateful for what You have already accomplished and I am thankful that You are not through with me yet. Lord, make me aware of the danger when I begin to think about the things that would lead me away from You and cause me to be preoccupied with loving and serving You. I long to be free from the influence of the world and the "pull" of my flesh--please replace those things with a renewed passion for You and for the things that You care about. Your will be done in my life today.

No comments: