Friday, May 2, 2008

A Foreshadowing of the Cross


Scripture: John 3:9-15 (NIV) 9 "How can this be?" Nicodemus asked. 10 "You are Israel's teacher," said Jesus, "and do you not understand these things? 11 I tell you the truth, we speak of what we know, and we testify to what we have seen, but still you people do not accept our testimony. 12 I have spoken to you of earthly things and you do not believe; how then will you believe if I speak of heavenly things? 13 No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven--the Son of Man. 14 Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the desert, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, 15 that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life.

Background: Nicodemus once again asked a question exposing the fact that he did not have a clue as to what Jesus was trying to communicate to him. This is a foreshadowing of things to come, for even those that were closest to Jesus did not understand the work that Jesus was sent to accomplish until well after the resurrection. In these verses, Jesus, for the first time, talks about the specific mission that the Father sent Him to accomplish. This demonstrates that even in the earliest days of His public ministry, Jesus understood that He would eventually and inevitably face the cross.

Observations: Are you familiar with the story of bronze serpent? Israel was under the judgment of God for their continual disobedience and complaining; so God sent a plague of poisonous snakes into their camp. Talk about getting your attention--and I have problems when a scorpion invades my home. Anyway, God told Moses to put a bronze serpent on a pole and to raise that pole into the sky so that the camp of Israel could see it. Here is the miracle...anyone that looked upon the bronze serpent was healed from their snake bite. Have you ever been bitten by a poisonous snake? Trust me, it's not fun.

God's solution to Israel's problem was brilliantly simple. Look at the bronze serpent and live. It was a foreshadowing of the powerful work of salvation that Christ accomplished on the cross. God has simplified the remedy to our sin. We simply "look" to Jesus and we are "saved." Jesus specifically said, "T
hat everyone who believes in him may have eternal life."

Prayer: Father, I come into Your presence with a grateful heart. Thank you for sending Jesus to deliver me from my sin. Cause me to be grateful. Grateful for the cross...grateful for Your love...grateful for Your ability to keep me...May I forever be grateful. I cannot repay your kindness, but I once again submit myself to Your purposes. Dear Lord--I desire to walk in the center of Your will for me this day--fortify my life with Your power, Your integrity and Your love. Amen.


No comments: