Saturday, April 26, 2008

Born Again


Scripture: John 3:1-4 (NKJV) 1 There was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews. 2 This man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, "Rabbi, we know that You are a teacher come from God; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him." 3 Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God." 4 Nicodemus said to Him, "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?"

Background: A predominate religious leader came to talk to Jesus at night. One can only surmise that Nicodemus did not want any of his colleagues to know that he had any interest in Jesus, the rogue Rabbi. Nicodemus gave Jesus an unsolicited compliment and Jesus returned the favor by giving Nicodemus an unsolicited lesson about the keys to eternal life. Jesus said, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."

Observations: Jesus was telling Nicodemus, an extremely religious man, that in order to "see" the kingdom of God it would take something more than religion. It would take a new birth--a spiritual new birth. Nicodemus did not understand Jesus anymore than a secular person understands a contemporary Christian who declares that they have been born again. The BIG question is this: "Why do we need to be born again?" I have often used the illustration that as impossible as it is to grab your own shoe strings and to lift yourself off the ground, so it is when it comes to "saving" ourselves and lifting ourselves out of sin. In order for a human to be changed, transformed and reformed takes a miracle. The miracle of the new birth takes place when the Holy Spirit breaths His life into our spirit. The beauty of the new birth is that it was accomplished by the grace and goodness of God and not by the effort of man.

Prayer: Dear Father, thank you for loving me and for coming into my life. I trust in Your ability to change me and I submit myself to Your purposes in my life. Your Word speaks of Jesus as being the author and the finisher of my faith, so I pray that You will continue to led me and guide me as my life is transformed. I long for the day when I hear your voice speak the words, "Welcome, thou good and faithful servant." Until I hear You speak those words I want to live a life that brings You glory. May Your glory shine through me this day.

No comments: